(London.1st June 14) Safe MMA has made the following medically advised updates to the Safe MMA Agreement, with Version 19 available to download at http://bit.ly/1u48rsd.
Among the revisions, Safe MMA doctors have collaborated to outline guideline suspension periods for fight injuries, at the request of ringside medical professionals.
All Version 19 updates, outlined below, are highlighted in red throughout the document.
23b) MEDICAL SUSPENSIONS
- There will be the following Automatic Suspensions with NO APPEALS for the following:
– Knock Out: 45 days to competition, 30 to contact
– 1st Concussion : 45 days to competition, 30 to contact
– 2nd Concussion/ KO in a season: 90 days
– 3rd Concussion/KO in a season: Suspended until cleared neurologically by a doctor
– TKO stoppage (blows to head): 45 days to competition, 30 to contact 0 days
– All head injuries: 45 days to competition, 30 to contact
- Guideline suspension periods for common injuries are advised as below by Safe MMA but the suspension issued lies with the examining doctor based on post-fight medical assessment. Safe MMA doctors should state a minimum advised recovery time before the competitor can return to full contact.
|Suspension Criteria||Suspension Length||Notes|
|Facial laceration||2-6 weeks|
|Facial fracture||6-12 weeks||Doctors clearance is required to compete prior to competition|
|Concussion||45 Days to competition, 30 days to contact (Mandatory)|
|KO||45 Days to competition, 30 days to contact (Mandatory)|
|TKO (strikes to head)||45 Days to competition, 30 days to contact (Mandatory)|
|Limb fracture||3-4 Months||Doctors clearance is required to compete prior to competition|
|Upper Limb fracture / Lower Limb||4-6 Months||Doctors clearance is required to compete prior to competition|
|Significant bruising||depends on extent ,
maybe 2-4 weeks
- The competitor may be advised to undergo a doctor’s examination before returning to full contact/ competition or if they have not healed as expected. However, a doctor’s letter of clearance is not required as this would require a private medical examination which may be prohibitive.
- PUBLICATION OF POST FIGHT SUSPENSIONS: Safe MMA will publishes the list of suspended fighters and their suspension periods, within one week of each Safe MMA event (once Safe MMA doctors have reviewed the post-fight medical paperwork). Safe MMA promotions will reference the published minimum suspension time and the competitor will be required to pass their following pre-fight medical prior to competition.
23d) CHECKING YOUR PARAMEDIC’S QUALIFICATIONS
The easiest way for promotions to ensure that paramedics have all the necessary equipment is to check that they are CQC licensed.
In Scotland the role of the CQC is fulfilled by the Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Social Care (www.carecommission.com) and in Wales by the Care Standards Inspectorate for Wales (www.cssiw.org.uk). In Northern Ireland, the role is carried out by the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (www.rqia.org.uk).
32. FEMALE COMPETITORS
Although Safe MMA does not recommend fighting if pregnant, Safe MMA does not require the pregnancy testing of competitors.
32b) BREAST IMPLANTS
Although there is a slight increased risk of rupture, this is very small. Breast implants are not considered a bar to competing and are the personal responsibility of the fighters.