TO BECOME **MEDICALLY CLEARED THROUGH SAFE MMA YOU WILL NEED:
- ANNUAL MEDICAL EXAMINATION (*see Medical Forms)
- BLOOD TEST RESULTS (*must be accompanied by a doctor’s review showing that you are free from HIV, Hepatitis B & Hepatitis C infection **doctor’s review NOT required if you are using a SafeMMA Blood Test Pack)
- REGISTRATION (*register and pay using the online Fighter Form)
- the doctor’s review of your blood test results should be EITHER in your Annual Medical Examination form OR on the one page Blood Test Review form – you do not need both! (*see Medical Forms)
- blood test results and medical forms MUST be emailed in scanned PDF form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- registration must be arranged and all correctly completed documentation received at least one week prior to competition
- A £35 LATE ADMIN FEE (£20 for amateur athletes) WILL BE APPLIED WHERE REGISTRATION OR CORRECTLY COMPLETED DOCUMENTATION HAS NOT BEEN RECEIVED AT LEAST ONE WEEK PRIOR TO COMPETITION
**MEDICAL CLEARANCE TO SafeMMA PLUS STANDARD (REQUIRED IN IRELAND AND BY SOME PARTNER PROMOTIONS): In addition to the above, professional competitors will be required to submit an Eye Examination form and an MRI/MRA Scan Review form, along with annual MRI (brain) and one-off MRA (intracranial and extracranial blood vessels to the level of aortic arch) scan reports, and amateur competitors one-off MRI (brain) scans. All scan reports MUST be accompanied by an English language translation. These forms are available with all other medical forms, and further information will be available on the website soon…
HOW TO GET CLEARED IN 5 EASY STEPS
Register as a professional or amateur SafeMMA fighter using the online Fighter Form
*NEW! Membership option (one-off joining fee, followed by small monthly subscription) now available, in addition to fixed 6 & 12 months terms of registration **See below for costs
Use this form to order your SafeMMA Blood Test Pack, if you require one
2. Annual medical form:
NOTE: If you do not receive your SafeMMA Blood Test Pack within 3 working days, please contact: email@example.com as a matter of urgency
3. Annual medical examination & blood test:
Book an appointment with your GP or a SafeMMA doctor in your area (*please note, those doctors listed in the SafeMMA doctors directory have previously shown a willingness to examine MMA fighters at competitive rates – they do NOT work for SafeMMA, and you are advised to check the rate before confirming any appointment)
Take your Annual Medical Examination form (along with your blood test pack, if you have ordered one) to your appointment, as well as Photo ID
4. Returning your documents:
Email a copy of your Annual Medical Examination form as a PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are using a SafeMMA blood test pack, post your sample back to the laboratory using the pre-paid/addressed envelope (*the blue and white coloured lab form must be completed by the medical professional taking your bloods and returned with the sample)
If your are NOT using a SafeMMA blood test pack, email a copy of your laboratory results as a PDF to: email@example.com (*these must be accompanied by a doctor’s review EITHER in your Annual Medical Examination form OR on the one page Blood Test Review form)
All cleared fighters will appear on the public register here: SafeMMA fighters register
If there is an issue, SafeMMA will advise you about treatment. Your medical information is confidential.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?
It can take a few weeks to get a GP appointment and for everything to get cleared.
The cut-off date for fighter registration and for correctly completed documentation to be received is one week before your fight date. Exceptions are made for late replacements.
IF YOUR CORRECTLY COMPLETED DOCUMENTATION OR REGISTRATION IS RECEIVED AFTER THE CUT-OFF DATE A £35 LATE ADMIN FEE WILL BE APPLIED
SafeMMA continued Membership
AMATEUR: £25 one-off joining fee, followed by a monthly subscription of £5.50
PROFESSIONAL: £40 one-off joining fee, followed by a monthly subscription of £8.50
SafeMMA fixed terms of Registration
AMATEUR: £50 for 6 months; £90 for 12 months
PROFESSIONAL: £75 for 6 months; £135 for 12 months
SafeMMA BLOOD TEST PACK: £65 (*£80 for non SafeMMA registered/registering fighters **£65/£80 cost includes return postage (within UK) to the laboratory and subsequent analysis, however it is your responsibility to find a qualified medical professional to take your bloods)
LATE ADMIN FEE: £35
PLEASE NOTE that your GP/doctor will also charge for your annual medical examination
SAFE MMA MEMBERSHIP INCLUDES:
- FREE pre and post-fight medicals on Safe MMA shows covered by promotions.
- Unlimited email support service (not consultation) on key next steps to take with infections or injuries after event or report.
- Priority referral, best possible rates and booking to Sports Injury / Neurology / Plastics / Orthopaedics / Rheumatology / Physiology / Endocrinology / Ophthalmology experts and imaging centres within NHS or privately.
- Unlimited email based reporting service to competitor’s Promotions to confirm ‘green light’ status for fights.
Your personal and medical information is confidential.
In registering with SafeMMA you consent to your personal & medical information being shared for the purposes of SafeMMA compliance only with any member of the SafeMMA team and/or member Promotion.
The public database only lists fighters that are both registered and medically clear, along with any medical suspension periods. When a competitor’s membership expires, or if he/she is not cleared to fight, his/her name simply disappears from the list.
See here for public database: SafeMMA fighters register
DATA PROTECTION: The Centre for Health and Human Performance, which houses SafeMMA, is not only data protection registered but CQC Certified for the way in which its medical records are processed and stored. CHHP has also developed proprietary militarily grade encryption as security for all clinical data with two stage authentication for access.
WHAT IF THEIR IS AN ISSUE WITH MY BLOOD TEST RESULTS?
- Your GP or a SafeMMA doctor will explain what the implications are if any of the test results or physical exam do not come back as expected as they may have an impact on you or your professional career.
- Your GP or a SafeMMA doctor will inform you of your results in a private consultation or other communication.
- SafeMMA will store your results on a secure, private health record database and not communicate any details of results to anyone without your express written permission.